Saturday, January 30, 2010

Living Weed Free 2


In order to learn how to get rid of those pesky weeds, I read, among other books, a book called “Weedless Gardening” this book was not just a book with a few quick fixes, in fact this was a whole new way of looking at weeds. Without getting into the particulars, lets suffice it to say that instead of pulling them out or killing them with herb-aside, this book teaches to suppress them with various natural means, including light tilling, mulch, vigorous growing plants bunched tightly together.

There are some parallels with this way of gardening and our spiritual life. We often dig our sin up and confess it, only to go our way and continue our lives in the same manner which we were living. Why does this happen when we are told in the bible that if we are in Christ we are a new creature? (2 Corinthians 5:17) Is there a better way?

Consider Colossians chapter 3 starting in verse 5: “Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry: (v. 5) But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth. (v. 8)Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds; (v. 9) And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him: (v. 10) Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering; (v. 12) Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any: even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye. (v. 13) And above all these things put on charity, which is the bond of perfectness.” (v. 14)

We as Christians are to first put off the old, then on the new. Just like a garden that is weeded and left alone, would inevitably start growing more weeds, our lives will never be free from a particular sin unless we “plant” good things. This of course takes time and great effort. I have to confess that although these gardening techniques do work and have helped, my garden is over grown with weeds by the end of every summer. Why? Because it is still a lot o f work and I find other things that are more important. In our spiritual lives it is going to be great deal of hard labor. But to be free from the sin, is the most important thing that you could ever do.

I didn't always feel this way. I have come through a journey myself and realize that you will have to come through one yourself. I came to Christ at a young age, even at four years old beginning my journey when my father came to me and asked the pointed question. “Do you want to go to heaven?” of course I did but that simple prayer I prayed that night was only words. I had to realize that I was guilty of sin that kept me away from God. After a few years of prayer and doubt, when I was 9 years old, I got alone with God, at summer camp and gave him my life.

When I ended up in the hospital with appendicitis a month after being baptized, I realized that this was really serous business. And when my baby brother died a few months later, there was no where else to go, but to the arms of Jesus. I had to learn to trust that God was doing what was best for me.

Yet, as I developed into a teenager, I became distracted with playing video games, watching TV, and sports. I got high on lewd pictures of woman. Then I became frustrated with life, I realized that I was wasting my life, but I blamed everyone else including God. I became bitter and angry often running to my room and pounding on the walls. And I did some other things that I am not proud of. When I look back at that time I was right on the door of becoming a complete reprobate and turning from God. I turned back to the time that I had given Him my life.

I was full of pride and I was full of sin. Then I was put in a back brace, in order to correct a curvature of the spine. During this time I was brought to a conference on Basic Youth Conflicts, put on by Bill Gothard. Through out the week, as I applied the biblical principles that were given, I became free from many of the attitudes in my life.

So where are you in the journey? Are you newly saved and looking to get rid of the baggage you have been carrying around, give it to Jesus. Are you suffering with overwhelming circumstances, and there seems to be no hope? You can find hope in the Word of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment